MrsB 8/10 AM
Just in from the first joint practice with the Saints. We parked what seemed to be miles away and it took a bit for the place to fill up (probably due to the hike from the lots) but it ended up packed to the gills. Today was by far, the stickiest of days out there. The morning started with a thick haze then burned off as the day went on.
For those with attention issues, today was a whopper! There were so many guys out on the field, running all over the place, balls flying, flags flying, and multiple activities going on simultaneously it was hard to choose where to look. One thing for sure though, it brought back shades of Bryant with the defense doing their drills right up close to the ropes and the fans.
Here’s some of my takeaways from today:
* Our team all wore blue today, except for QB’s who still wore red. Saints were in white.
* The sidelines were swarming with folks.. Saints owners in their straw hats out early, the Krafts, and Bon Jovi, who along with his son, spent some time with BB and his sons, then hung with Mr. Kraft when BB went to work. Mike Mayock was there again today too.
* Neal and Brady both greeted Randall Gay when they took to the field and Gay gestured to 12’s hair then they chuckled.
* Both teams did drills and stretching then joined for 1:1 work and full team work.
* During 1:1 pass coverage drills, Rod Owens (15) had a sweet, over the shoulder catch from Hoyer while being covered by Torrence Leigh (24).
* The man with the coolest of names.. Zoltan, had a really rough day.. shanking quite a few punts. He really looked horrible today.. (Sorry to say, but true.) During full squad punt coverage, the Saints got too close and took responsibility, warning their players to stay away from the punter. Chung took a direct snap at one point.
* Brady hit Moss easily for a couple (at least) deep TD passes during full squad work, one in which he was double teamed yet came up with the ball in the EZ.
* Darius Butler didn’t have the greatest of days today, seeming to be a step behind the Saints receivers most of the morning.
*Brady must have been happy today with the Red Zone work featuring the TEs. Hernandez and Crumpler scored to end both of his drives.
* Meriweather had an outstanding defensive play in the EZ breaking up a Brees to Shockey pass. Spikes also knocked one down.
* Lots of flags were flying.. Patriots players tend to take a lap if they jump but the Saints don’t. Mike Wright took one today.
* Gostkowski hit 6/7 field goals, and ran one play resulting in a Crumpler reception.
* Ever wonder why the Pats have such great photos? Now I know.. Pats photographer David Silverman will do just about anything for the shot I guess.. He spent some time on the roof of one of the buildings taking pics!
* Not really sure which unit was assigned to sign today because it looked like the entire RB and DB units were out there. Moss and Welker could be spotted down by the charitable foundation tent too. Some Saints players signed along the grass, including Reggie Bush, who was clearly a fan fave. Greer was yelling Who Dat to fans when he came by to sign.
*As predicted, the autograph crowd was the roughest I’ve seen in years, pushing, shoving, folks running and sneaking over to the restricted area and adults practically trampling kids. That’s what happens when Super Bowl Champions are on the field.
*PS…. If anyone has seen the rookie hairdoo that Tebow is sporting over in Denver, my gut tells me that his creation has Lonie Paxton written all over it! It’s very similar to the Friar Tuck Doo that Kaczur was blessed with back in his day. LOL
I’m heading back out early for the afternoon session but may not have time to blog later… We’ll see what the night brings. Go Pats!!